CougarInsider

A place for the Cougars and their adoring fans to consolidate their time wasting on the internet

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

It's a lock! Unbreakable Individual Records.

Go down 

Which technically breakable record is least likely to be broken?
NFL Career Receiving Yards: 22,895 - Jerry Rice
0%
 0% [ 0 ]
NFL TD Passes in a Season: 49 - Peyton Manning
14%
 14% [ 1 ]
NBA Points in a Game: 100 - Wilt Chamberlain
14%
 14% [ 1 ]
NBA Career Points: 38,378 - Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
0%
 0% [ 0 ]
NHL Career Points: 2,857 - Wayne Gretzky
0%
 0% [ 0 ]
MLB Career Strikeouts: 5,714 - Nolan Ryan
0%
 0% [ 0 ]
MLB Hitting Streak: 56 Games - Joe DiMaggio
43%
 43% [ 3 ]
MLB Consec. Games: 2,632 - Cal Ripkin Jr.
14%
 14% [ 1 ]
Pro contracts turned down by future Prez: 2 - Ford
14%
 14% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 7

AuthorMessage
Samwise
Joe Jon Finley

PostSubject: It's a lock! Unbreakable Individual Records.   Sat May 02, 2009 7:24 am

Just 39 more games with a hit and the guy in my sig that isn't Derek Jeter (has 18 right now) breaks DiMaggio's consecutive games with a hit record.

This reminded me of a discussion some of us had a while back about the most untouchable records in sports.

Now that the media, and some hardcore baseball fans, and most Yankees fans know that Cano is approaching 20 he is going to feel a ton of pressure. Pete Rose (arguably the best pure hitter of all time, right up there with DiMaggio) only ever got to 44 and that was before cable sports news took off.

Even though Cano is having the season of his life and is averaging over 1 hit per game I would be thoroughly surprised if he got to 25 because of the pressure. If he gets to 30 ESPN will explode and that is barely more than halfway there.

This record gets my vote for a record that technically is obtainable in modern sports, but won't be broken in our lifetimes... Or it would if it weren't for one Gerald Ford.

All of the choices, I think, are technically obtainable.

Nate Erdmann

PostSubject: Re: It's a lock! Unbreakable Individual Records.   Sat May 02, 2009 3:39 pm

I don't know if you can necessarily compare lifetime records with single-season records. It wasn't very long ago that people were saying that Dan Marino's single-season touchdown passes record would never be broken. The single-season all-purpose TD record has been broken three times in the last five years, IIRC.

Anyway, I'm just saying that it could only take a year to break some of these, and others a whole career.

It's between the hitting streak and the President one for me. You can't get that close to the pros these days without pouring your whole life into the process. It just wouldn't make sense. But as America's obsession with celebrity continues, I'm sure we probably will have an athlete President in our lifetimes.
Back to top Go down
Samwise
Joe Jon Finley

PostSubject: Re: It's a lock! Unbreakable Individual Records.   Sat May 02, 2009 5:48 pm

I'm not really comparing prestige or anything; it is hard to compare between the different sports if you are going like that. The SS TD record got broken so many times in the past few years because a different type of offense came around. If you look at the great QBs from the 70s 80s and 90s their stats are nowhere near Manning and Brady because the league was run heavy, with the exception of Marino who had to carry that entire team forever. I think that the good NFL Ds have adjusted to a vertical style of play now though.

I just wanted to know what people think is the least likely to be broken.

Nate Erdmann

PostSubject: Re: It's a lock! Unbreakable Individual Records.   Sat May 02, 2009 6:41 pm

way to jinx Cano Mike, he went 0-4 today!!
Back to top Go down
http://smouch.net/lol/
Samwise
Joe Jon Finley

PostSubject: Re: It's a lock! Unbreakable Individual Records.   Sat May 02, 2009 6:55 pm

That is what happens. Even internet forums with 21 members apply pressure when people go for a record that sacred.

Nate Erdmann

PostSubject: Re: It's a lock! Unbreakable Individual Records.   Sat May 02, 2009 7:05 pm

It's not an individual record, but what about OU's 47-game winning streak? I know USC got up in the 30s a few years ago but dropped it against Texas in the 2005 title game.

Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: It's a lock! Unbreakable Individual Records.   Sat May 02, 2009 8:06 pm

Consecutive hits by a good amount. I remember in Ichiro's first or second season everyone went ape shit when he got around 23 in a row... not even halfway there.

Points in a game is the second closest in my opinion. Kobe had a chance, but isn't getting any younger. Lebron is to much of a stat whore and team player to have a game so selfish. I don't think anyone else in the league is capable of it, barring something like a 20 - 20 from the field start.

Samwise
Joe Jon Finley

PostSubject: Re: It's a lock! Unbreakable Individual Records.   Sun May 03, 2009 3:28 am

Someone could start a poll for team records if they want to do a little googling. I stuck to individual records here. UCLA Mens BB 88 straight and several championships in a row in the late 60s early 70s is the only rival for OUs streak I can think of off the top of my head.

Nate Erdmann

PostSubject: Re: It's a lock! Unbreakable Individual Records.   Sun May 03, 2009 2:22 pm

The Cal Ripken Consec games is crazy. I mean thats not getting hurt, not getting a day off and being good enough to start for like 15 years. That's insane
Back to top Go down
Samwise
Joe Jon Finley

PostSubject: Re: It's a lock! Unbreakable Individual Records.   Sun May 03, 2009 2:59 pm

Lou Gherig might have played 3000 games if he hadn't been the unluckiest "luckiest man on the face of this earth."

Nate Erdmann

PostSubject: Re: It's a lock! Unbreakable Individual Records.   Mon May 04, 2009 3:29 am

True.. but the streak is based completely on luck.. lucky enough to be healthy to start every game in a game where you play more than every other day.. Lou Gherig and Cal Ripken are the luckiest people on earth.. to be that healthy.. to stay away from distractions for that long.. and to be that good for so long.. Thats goin to be hard to beat.. the current record is like 180.. long way to go
Back to top Go down
Samwise
Joe Jon Finley

PostSubject: Re: It's a lock! Unbreakable Individual Records.   Mon May 04, 2009 9:16 am

Yeah, It isn't likely in this day and age. Gehrig got his cut short at 35 by a disease so rare the general public knows it as Lou Gehrig's disease. I guess he was only lucky for 12-13 years or so.

Admin

PostSubject: Re: It's a lock! Unbreakable Individual Records.   Mon May 04, 2009 12:52 pm

In all actuality there's at least 4 of those that aren't gonna be broken in our lifetime. If they are it's gonna be by the Jordan/Tiger/DiMaggio of this generation coming into sports now. Except it will be under 100x scrutiny because of the internet and mass media.

The only ones I can actually envision being broken are career points in the NHL and NBA, and single season touchdowns.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: It's a lock! Unbreakable Individual Records.   

Back to top Go down

It's a lock! Unbreakable Individual Records.
Page 1 of 1