CougarInsider

A place for the Cougars and their adoring fans to consolidate their time wasting on the internet

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

American Exceptionalism: Soccer and American Football

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Tippindeg
Nate Erdmann
Nate Erdmann

PostSubject: American Exceptionalism: Soccer and American Football   Mon May 04, 2009 4:21 pm

Since I know most of us are football fans and some of you are commieball soccer fans, I thought you guys might enjoy this. It was assigned reading for my American political culture class:

http://www.la84foundation.org/SportsLibrary/SportsHistorian/1996/sh16f.pdf

It's about a 30-minute read, but well worth it. It covers the historical development of American football in relation to rugby and soccer, and assesses why American football caught on in America (or rather, why rugby rules-football caught on in America as opposed to association-rules football). I like his thesis: "Americans took to rugby rules because it was more violent and machismo than association rules."

Nate Erdmann
Nate Erdmann

PostSubject: Re: American Exceptionalism: Soccer and American Football   Mon May 04, 2009 4:43 pm

An interesting comparison is American football to European football and American motorsports to European motorsports. the same principles can be applied IMO.
Back to top Go down
Samwise
Joe Jon Finley

PostSubject: Re: American Exceptionalism: Soccer and American Football   Mon May 04, 2009 5:09 pm

Dunning, E, and Sheard, K, 1979, Barbarians, Gentlemen and Players,
Martin Robertson, Oxford.

I am proud to bear the name of the man who brought us Barbarians, Gentlemen and Players.

PostSubject: Re: American Exceptionalism: Soccer and American Football   

Back to top Go down

American Exceptionalism: Soccer and American Football
Page 1 of 1