CougarInsider

A place for the Cougars and their adoring fans to consolidate their time wasting on the internet

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

What's the Deal With

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Slater-Morris
Nate Erdmann
Nate Erdmann

PostSubject: What''s the Deal With   Wed May 13, 2009 3:13 pm

The desire to put your life on the internet? We all know the scene where they strike a pose and take a picture with the sole intention of putting it on the internet for others to see, almost as if the moment they captured was fake.

It's not your lived reality that's actually important, rather the story you tell to your peers. People can now create an identity based on the information they put online, and author a new image of themselves for personal or social gratification, regardless of the authenticity.

This guy does a good job of explaining the phenomenon.

http://www.ted.com/talks/view/id/511
Back to top Go down
Samwise
Joe Jon Finley

PostSubject: Re: What's the Deal With   Wed May 13, 2009 3:47 pm

Everyone who has a facebook/myspace/twitter account does that to one degree or another. Everytime two people talk this goes on too. If everyone knew what was going on in everyones head all the time the world would be a horrible place.

Nate Erdmann

PostSubject: Re: What's the Deal With   Wed May 13, 2009 4:59 pm

Samwise wrote:
If everyone knew what was going on in everyones head all the time the world would be a horrible place.

I disagree wholeheartedly with this, and once heard a quote from some generic semi-famous person expressing the same sentiment as me. Unfortunately, I can't seem to dig it up, so my fallacious appeal to authority will have to wait.

Nate Erdmann
Nate Erdmann

PostSubject: Re: What's the Deal With   Wed May 13, 2009 6:36 pm

Yeah, a good deal of historical repression has been due to the fact that the powers that be (religion) have spent a horrible amount of time trying to convince people that their very natural desires are perverted and wrong. No doubt that if we could read minds we'd be exposed to some fucked up shit occasionally, but I think there would also be a nice wave of validation as well (if this turns into a deontological evaluation of telekinesis, I'm absolutely game).
Back to top Go down
Colonel Tobe
Nate Erdmann
Nate Erdmann

PostSubject: Re: What's the Deal With   Wed May 13, 2009 7:54 pm

Telekinesis if im not mistaken, was and still is a formidible pokemon attack.
Back to top Go down
Samwise
Joe Jon Finley

PostSubject: Re: What's the Deal With   Wed May 13, 2009 8:46 pm

I really don't want to know the thoughts of every 12 year old in a mall. I don't want to know every thought that any of you bastards have and I like you guys way more than almost everyone on the planet. It has nothing to do with morality or censorship or anything like that. I just don't like people that much and their opinions en mass mean little to me.

Nate Erdmann

PostSubject: Re: What's the Deal With   Wed May 13, 2009 10:33 pm

Samwise wrote:
I really don't want to know the thoughts of every 12 year old in a mall. I don't want to know every thought that any of you bastards have and I like you guys way more than almost everyone on the planet. It has nothing to do with morality or censorship or anything like that. I just don't like people that much and their opinions en mass mean little to me.

I think the idea is that if we lived in a society where everyone was telepathic, you wouldn't feel this way.

Joe Jon Finley

PostSubject: Re: What's the Deal With   Thu May 14, 2009 12:47 am

Maybe I wouldn't but I bet there would be fewer cities and more hermits if everyone had constant access to everyone's thoughts.

PostSubject: Re: What's the Deal With   Fri May 15, 2009 3:09 pm

Or suicides
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What's the Deal With   

Back to top Go down

What's the Deal With
Page 1 of 1